Tuesday, May 7, 2013



Welcome!


Hello and Welcome to VeggiEvolution! A place where you can find great tips and connect with others who want to learn how easy it is to be vegan!

“Easy” is relative right? Change and human behavior are interesting topics and much of how you view them is largely based on your mindset and your experience. What is “easy” for one person may be extremely “difficult” for another. This has always fascinated me and my hope is to help others understand the impact of the choices we make,  help them to see how easy it is to live on a plant based diet and live a vegan lifestyle.

I finally started to realize the impact of my choices about six years ago. I never really cooked before I got married (other than pasta and jarred sauce) and realized when I started cooking chicken – that it was - oh - actually chicken!  Not making that connection for over thirty years speaks to how we are raised, what we are taught and what is acceptable in our culture – more to come on that topic in another blog. I’ve always loved animals and I decided to become vegetarian on my way to work one day when I saw some baby cows jumping and running around in an open field! They looked so happy and free - I knew I couldn’t ever eat one again! Just writing that, “I knew I could never eat one again” sounds so odd because just looking at them and their sweet eyes, I knew I could never harm one. Therefore, I can’t contribute to their harm by pretending they aren’t harmed on factory farms, pretending or being ignorant of the fact that they are mistreated and raised only to be eaten! That is so inherently wrong in a world that can and should be eating healthy a plant based diet for many reasons.

Being a vegetarian six years ago seemed so much more challenging then than it does now. Probably partly due to my finding my way, but also because it is becoming so much more prevalent in our society! Yeah!!! Almost every restaurant has at least one vegetarian option, if not an entire vegetarian menu! You can even find something at a steak house, if you get a little creative, which I think is fun! Most wait staff are willing to help you out, especially if you ask nicely! Thankfully, my sweet, adorable husband was very patient and encouraging of me in this endeavor and didn’t mind the diet change when we ate at home (he occasionally would eat chicken and/or seafood when out at a restaurant). This worked well for us and he was happy we were trying to eat more healthfully!  Healthful? While vegetarian food is somewhat healthier, it is often loaded with cheese! Pizza, burritos, paninis are usually doused with cheese or some dairy spread.  Not so sure about the healthful part!

Join me next time for: The Vegan Transition!


1 comment:

  1. Good going Nicole! Thanks for raising awareness about how we can live better lives for ourselves, all the animals around us, and our planet.

    ReplyDelete